Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Brewvival Weekend Wrapup


Well I think I've finally recovered from what has to be the best weekend of beer events Charleston has ever seen. The Charleston Brewvival brought together about 30 breweries, 70-80 amazing beers, and over 1,000 beer lovers on Saturday for 6 hours of beer tasting, hanging out, and general awesomeness. The weekend started early with a Stone beer dinner at Chai's and a Foothills cask at Closed for Business on Thursday night. Sadly I was unable to go to either of these events as I was still trying to recover from the worst-timed head cold in history. Thankfully by Friday evening I was in good enough shape to head down to The Griffon for some special beers from The Bruery and New Belgium. Greg Koch, CEO of Stone Brewing, was also in attendance and we talked a little bit about the brewing business, which was super cool.


 Greg and Edward (me!)

 
We also made a contribution to the wallpaper.

 
 A good time was had by all, except for that creepy 
guy with the beard.

The next day we headed out to the big festival, stopping along the way at the top-secret Westbrook Brewing pilot brewery for some test-batch sampling. The Brewvival itself was amazing. At most of the other beer festivals I've attended, you can go down the beer list and quickly mark off which beers you want to try and which beers you can skip. No such luck here. Just about every one of the 70+ beers was a must-try, so we set to work. I didn't take any photos of my own from the festival, but you can check out some herehere and here. My favorite beers of the day were the New Belgium Love, The Bruery's Oude Tart, and the Ommegang Rouge (I kinda like sour beers). All in all it was a fantastic festival and I certainly hope it becomes an annual event. If it is, you can bet that the Westbrook Brewing crew will be on the other side of the serving tables in 2011 dispensing our own crazy beer creations!

No comments:

Post a Comment